Best Scroll Saw Reviews
If your woodworking task requires craving intricate curves, the saw that works best for this kind of task is a scroll saw. A scroll saw may look like a band saw and may be similar because of the fact that it also deals with curves, but its function is a bit different than a band saw. Band saws usually have bigger and longer blades which is why they are deemed as more dangerous saws while scroll saws are gentler which is why this is a perfect saw when it comes to crafting woodworks with details and intricate designs.
Best Scroll Saw Reviews
Read following best scroll saw reviews and choose your best scroll saw:
No.1 DEWALT DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw Review(Price: $459.00)
The DEWALT DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw belongs to the excellent industrial tools manufactured by Dewalt; a popular company. This is one great-performing saw that features a dependable 1.3 amp motor that delivers 400 spm to 1,750 spm. Among other scroll saws, most professionals rave about this saw a lot as it is indeed a powerful saw.
No.2 Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw Review(Price: $167.00)
The Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw is a nice-looking saw that it is mostly sought after because of its performance. It usually comes in the color white with black details specially the light holder. It is a popular scroll saw not only in looks but also in quality and performance. In fact, its performance is one of the greatest things about this saw.
No.3 Rockwell RK7315 Scroll Saw Review(Price: $129.98)
The Rockwell RK7315 Scroll Saw is a very lightweight scroll saw. Although it is one of the most lightweight of scroll saws out there, it is also a good saw because of its great features such as its variable speed and the 0 to 45 beveling table. It is also a saw that features a 1.2 amp motor so it’s not hard to imagine how a lightweight saw can create excellent cuts what with such power.
Scroll Saw Buying Guide
Scroll saws come in different brands and models and you are required to choose the right scroll saw if you want your projects to come out perfect. As a guide, here are several of the things you need to look into that can help you get hold of the perfect scroll saw.
- Power and Speed. How a scroll saw performs is sometimes owing to its speed and power. Power allows a scroll saw to cut through wood like butter and speed also helps you create cuts fast and easy. Great scroll saw power is 1 to 2 amps. It may seem like it is not powerful but 1-2 amps is enough for a scroll saw since it does not really require much power when carving intricate curves. Unless you are working with a very hard material; that is the time you would consider looking for a scroll saw with much power. On the other hand, the typical speed required of a scroll saw should only be as low as 300 to 600 spm and as high as 1,500 to 1,800 spm for guaranteed versatility.
- Cut Quality and Performance. Scroll saws deal with intricate curves which means they are mainly saws for more complicated details and you can’t risk buying a scroll saw that cannot live up to the cut quality and performance you are expecting of it. Typically, cut quality is ensured by scroll saws that have 1-3/4″ to 2-1/4″ cutting depth and 16″, 18″ or 20″ throat depth. If the cut quality of the saw is not within this range and you are cutting a material with a size more than its cutting depth, good quality cuts would be compromised.
- Blade Quality and Performance. The blade is important in a scroll saw because this is what cuts through the work piece. With this you’ll need to make sure your scroll saw has a reliable blade quality to perform better. Whether the blade is plain end or pin-end, what matters is that the blade is high quality.
- Extra Functional Features. Scroll saws usually come with extra features that can contribute to convenience, safety or performance. Most scroll saws come with a dust port, a dust blower, a cast iron table, etc. Look into these features too but do not only check if these features exist. Rather check if these features are truly functional especially the dust blower and the dust port. The dust port contributes to easier cleanup after the job and the dust blower clears away the dust from the work piece so you can make precise and accurate cuts.
- Controls and Adjustments. Other features you have to look into are the controls and adjustments. They should be functional and convenient for you. Controls and adjustments contribute a lot to the ease of use of the scroll saw, so you must ensure that controls are easy to operate as well as adjustments are also easy and no extra tools are needed to activate or operate the saw.
- Weight. When it comes to your convenience, the weight of the scroll saw also contributes a lot. Compared to band saws, scrolls saw are typically more lightweight, but there are also some scroll saws that weighs really heavy that they are not convenient to carry around. With this, you must look into basic specs like the weight and the size if you are looking for a convenient scroll saw.
- Price. Even if the price is the last of all the things you need to look into when choosing a scroll saw, it is also a very important factor to consider. Some scroll saws are overpriced and some are priced less because of lower quality and performance. With this you must be careful when relying on the price as your basis for choosing a good scroll saw. Always make sure you are buying a scroll saw that is worthy of its price in terms of quality, cuts, performance, speed and features.
Carving intricate curves is not a joke which is why you need a scroll saw. However, since scroll saws are not the same and not all are as good as they look, it is important to check the specifications of the saw first as well as read reviews and testimonials before buying anything.
Visitors Who Viewed This Review Also Viewed
Category: Scroll Saw Reviews